A collection of doodles with a bit of commentary by RICK GREEN - your cartooning friend

Friday, December 17, 2010

Giant Jim

Jim is the youth pastor at our church, and a good friend. One evening I stepped in for him at the youth group while he was out of town. At one point he seem a bit concerned whether or not I would be able to handle teens. I told him, "Don't worry. I'm going to knock it out of the park." Since then that has been an inside joke between us: "Are you going to knock it out of the park?," we'll asked each other.

That's Jim and his wife Jolene to the left. They're expecting their 2nd child in August. I think "Richard" is one of the names that's being considered—at least it should be considered, don't you think?

Jim is a San Francisco Giants fan. You can imagine that he was in hog heaven when they won the Series.

For Christmas I wanted to give him something special, and so I created this caricature of him. I presented it to him at a little party we had at our house. It's always fun to have the chance to see one of my subject's reaction when they open one of my doodles. Jim like what I had created. He seemed most impressed that I got his hair right on. Half of the party was spent hunting for Eggy. He found him, but it took a while.
Nice sweater Jim.

2 comments:

Reddirt Woman said...

What a treat to get to see first-hand the smile when someone sees themselves in your art. And as usual, good job!

Okie (or okra) Helen

Sharon Kirby said...

My husband calls it "hitting a tater." Loved your caricature of Jim - yup, the hair was pretty right on!

Rick - how's the diet going? Are you weathering the challenging holiday season???

Your droll comment on the sweater - you're too funny...

Have a wonderful Christmas!

GOD BLESS!

(P.S. Your family is beautiful - each and every one of them - and yes, you're good, too!)