A collection of doodles with a bit of commentary by RICK GREEN - your cartooning friend

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Dawn & Her Gang

This is an illustration that I've been wanting to put on my blog for a number of days now. The story behind it begins when a friend sent me an e-mail with a link to an e-bay auction. The e-bay listing tells the story of Dawn Meehan's efforts to sell some Pokemon Cards that one of her children slipped into her shopping cart. On that page Dawn writes a very hilarious description of her shopping "adventure." It is a must read - funny - VERY funny.

(Here is the URL info. - I tried to create a link, but having a hard time doing so. Just copy and paste into your address line.)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130144061675&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:UK:2

Apparently the e-bay listing gained a lot of attention and there have been thousands of people that have read it and then forwarded it to others. On that page she posted a link to a blog authored by her - "Because I Said So."

Dawn's Blog

I began to visit her blog every so often because I really enjoyed reading some of her daily postings. From time to time I would add a comment, along with the hundred or so others that were posting comments on her page as well. Every so often I would add the URL to my blog at the bottom of my comment - just in case anyone might be interested in seeing what I had to offer to the blogging world out there.

Then, lo and behold, one day I received a couple of comments from Dawn on this blog. I was honored. She is obviously a busy lady. Along with raising six children, Dawn has done a number of radio interviews about her new popularity, Nickelodeon has come calling, and she has a book offer, which she is now in the process of writing, On top of all that ABC News did a segment about her.

ABC News Story

But, more than getting some comments from Dawn, I was really excited when she asked about the possibility of me doing a caricature of her for blog. Again, I was honored and really wanted to do it. So, after getting some photos of her and her children, plus a bit of description about each one of the Meehan kids, this is the result.











It was my idea to include her husband in the background. She describes him as a "jack of all trades." The Old Lady in the Shoe was hers. What do you think?

(I haven't told her yet, and maybe she still hasn't seen it, but yes, the egg man does make an appearance in her illustration. Can you find him?)

Thanks Dawn for letting me in on the fun, and remember me for all your further cartoon needs.

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL I found the egg man near the sole of the shoe at the toe. How stinkin cute. Rick, thanks for all of the e-mails, I look forward to working with you.

Heidi said...

Wow--I was wondering how that came about. It was fun to see her pictures and compare them to your caricature. Amazing how you captured their personalities so well in a single drawing. You are very talented! Thanks for sharing!

Beck said...

That's fantastic! My husband is an artist/illstrator, too!
(and my little avatar person is Ramona Quimby - thanks!)

Tea with Tiffany said...

Great work! I'll remember you if I am looking for a drawing.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Pro Blog Reviews said...

Rick, first of all, Thank You for allowing me to review your blog. I hope I did it justice, your work is awesome. The review can be seen at http://problogreviews.blogspot.com/2007/10/caricatures.html

please stop in and comment on it.

Anonymous said...

I don't have my own blog (yet, I suppose), but I've been reading Dawn since August as well. (I left you a comment about this caricature yesterday or day b4). Anyway, her blog is mom2my6pack.blogspot.com - and the Pokemon ebay story can be found in "favorites" on her sidebar, called "Adventures in Grocery Shopping" (I think). And I agree with you - a must read.
So - the egg man.... is this something you incorporate in all your drawings? (I haven't read enough of you to know yet). I thought I saw "EG" on Dawn's husband's "butt" pockets. Maybe I'm just seeing things. Thanks for sharing - KR

Suburban Correspondent said...

Nice work! I had wondered who did that cartoon for her - thanks for stopping by my blog. If I ever get famous, I'll think of you...

Debi said...

Oh so You're the artist! I love the drawing you made of her and her family, it's awesome!

Family Adventure said...

Hi Rick,

First, thanks for the comment on my blog. Very appropriate! :)
Second, I have been reading Dawn's hilarious blog from time to time, and I saw the change in header. I loved it right away, because I really thought it captured her essence. I'm so impressed that you did that. It looks fantastic.

Noticed the hubster right away, thought it was funny that he appeared to be running away. Clearly to a job, of course, but still. On his way outta there! :)

You did a fantastic job! (seeing the pictures of her now, for the first time here, I also have to say - she looks amazing. The woman has six kids! How does she do it?).

Glad to have found you!

Heidi

Excaliburt said...

OMG Rick u have become an overnight hit! I haven't heard from u in a while and I was just wondering how u were doing. Keep up the good work and don't forget about your number one fan.

Joe

Excaliburt said...

Rick my friend I am so sorry to here about your nephew and I don't want you to worry about my picture when u have something like that on your mind. I am glad to see that you are starting to get a fan base from the blog review site and I kinda cheated and commented to try and get a review also, lol. I was laughing earlier cause my friend was telling me about his 100 blog views and I wanted a slice so to say. Well hope everything goes well for you and talk to you soon.

Joe

Liz said...

Hi Rick, nice to make your acquaintance! Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog :o) You really did a terrific job with Dawn's picture...you are truly a gifted and talented individual! I could screw up a straight line! LOL Keep up the great work, love your other pictures as well!

~Liz
http://4guysn1liz.blogspot.com

Lucinda Naia said...

Her new caricature is what brought me to your blog! Thanks for sharing the story behind the drawing.

April said...

Thanks for reading my blog! I didn't know you were the fantastic artist! You did a WONDERFUL JOB! I'm going to favorite your spot so I can find you in the future!! Keep it up.

ACB said...

Thanks for checking out my blog - it is still very much in progress lol I guess all blogs are, huh?

Anyhow, I enjoy your art and I'm glad to put a name to the talent behind Dawn's blog artwork! Very nicely done! Thanks again for checking in with me :)

trowbridge chronicles said...

You live in one of the most beautiful spots in the country. I'm sure you know that. One my fun maps web site you'll see two maps of the Oregon Coast. I spent time in Brookings while marketing the Oregon Coast maps. Another one of my favorite Oregon Coast towns is Depoe Bay.

I enjoyed looking at your work. I can see that you really enjoy what you
do. It shows in your work.

12:16 PM

tearese said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog, I guess. Is that how you drum up traffic on your blog?:)
I've been to your blog before through Heidi's and Dawns, I've just never commented.
I was an art major in college, and I think you do a pretty good job.

Pascal Kirchmair said...

great stuff what you have here!

piper said...

wow!

first of all, how can you have such an awesome blog and not know about your feed? (gives me hope)

I love your work, I've seen it before on mom2my6pack! How on earth did you find me? I'm glad you did! You are certainly commissionable. ;) nice to see you, come back soon :)

Kellan said...

That is a great story and you did a great job capturing her and her family in that picture on her blog! We are pick art enthusists in our family. You are very talented! Maybe I need you to work up a drawing for my blog. See ya.

Nicole Wilson Conley said...

found out about dawn's blog over the weekend... hilarious!
i can't wait to read her book...

thanks for visiting my blog, too!

~nicole
p.s. - i found the egg man, too.
:o)

Amy said...

Your drawing for Dawn is great! It is fun to see the pictures too. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Anonymous said...

I've been reading Dawn's blog for awhile and love the new header you made for her blog. It looks wonderful!

Thanks for visiting my blog, glad you got RSS figured out :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my site! Great job on Dawn's header, I've been admiring it and showing my non-blogging friends. It's really good and captures the essence of her family quite well (as far as I can tell from her blog anyway).

Kim VanDerHoek said...

Oh my gosh I should have recognized your drawing style from Dawn's blog! Great illustration, very fitting for her! I love all the little details in it and yes, I did find the egg man.

Anonymous said...

What a small BLOG world we live in huh? I LOVE her drawing and now I know who did it. Very cool. You are quite talented sir! Perhaps my blog will grow as Dawn's did and you can draw me! I'd be happy for half of Dawn's audience. I think I'd be scared to go "famous" as fast as she did. Keep up the good work and thanks for checking out MY blog.
Lucille
http://whosgoingtotellyou.blogspot.com/

Emily said...

how do you find all these blogs? weird. dawn is hilarious.

Unknown said...

I wondered who had done that for Dawn. It's a great "doodle"!

Family O'Foxes said...

Sorry it took me so long to respond back to your comment to me_
http://familyofoxes.blogspot.com/2007/10/part-2-pumpkin-patch-cow-train.html

it is being pulled by a 4 wheeler. :)

Very cool drawing. I remember reading that ebay description. funny!
~Amy

Anonymous said...

What a great story - love your work!

Anonymous said...

It's perfect!! I've admired it since beginning to visit Dawn's blog. Glad I can comment to the actual artist. :D

Sherri said...

You did a great job on that! I was so excited the first time I saw it on her Blog!
Thanks for visiting OurPlace!!