A collection of doodles with a bit of commentary by RICK GREEN - your cartooning friend

Monday, March 17, 2008

Amber's Vision

Happy St. Patrick's Day! I had wanted to drawing something appropriate to commemorate the day, but I just couldn't find the time. Weekends are generally busy times for me.

Instead, I'll show you the interesting challenge that Amber presented me. She wrote, "I have been visiting your blog, and I love your work."

(Nice of you to say Amber - thank you very much.)

"I have a Charles Bukowski quote that I would love to create into a drawing. Here it is:'But as God said, crossing his legs. I see where I have made plenty of poets but not so very much poetry.'"

Amber had a definite idea in mind for what she wanted in the illustration. She said, "I kind of envisioned for God; long flowing hair, robe, beard, etc. I was thinking of Him in a rocking chair in some clouds and then some breaking clouds where He can look down. Then maybe the lower half could be a city scape with people walking and a couple benches with people sitting down and writing."

So, Amber had the concept. All I had to do was put it on paper. I went to the web for some ideas for drawing a city scape, and I drew some inspiration from the works of Robert Crumb.

I spent a great deal of time on this drawing. I wanted to get it just right. I feel very good about how the drawing turned out - quite proud as a matter of fact. Amber said it"looks awesome!" I guess that's what really matters.

Thanks Amber for trusting me with your vision. I really enjoyed creating it for you.

P.S. Green is my favorite color too.

11 comments:

Mum-me said...

This is a fantastic drawing (but do you think Eggy needs a parachute?)

Nicole P said...

This is simply phenomenal Rick!! I love it!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

It's fantastic Rick...Angel eggy:) Love the way you take ideas and put em to paper...
Laura

Kim VanDerHoek said...

You did such a nice job illustrating her idea! Love the painting that you used as inspiration for God, I've never looked closely at that detail of it. Good choice!

Anonymous said...

Thanks again, Rick! It's fabulous! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow Rick! That is really cool. What a neat idea.

The elk you posted below cracks me up!

Oh, and green is my favorite color too.

Ivanhoe said...

That is amazing! I hope I can come up with a cool concept like that and have you draw it for me. Yey, green is my fave color as well!

Anonymous said...

another one for green, in particular olive green!

I really love this....it's given me an idea, maybe I will try and do it myself but if it doesn't work out, I could be sending you another commission!
Gail

Rick said...

To Gail: I'm sure that you CAN do whatever it is that you have in mind, AND I want to see it after you're finished.

Brenda said...

Very nice.

roseys madhouse said...

Another job well done