A collection of doodles with a bit of commentary by RICK GREEN - your cartooning friend

Friday, August 29, 2008

Surprise Kelly!

I know that you told me the other day that you decided to not have me do another illustration for you (so many other needs that have demands on your finances at the moment), but I decided to go ahead and draw this little doodle for your blog anyway.

This is just my way of saying, "Sorry about all the 'lousy' (I guess that I could call them) things going on in your life. You are not forgotten, and you are loved by me and the Heavenly Father."

(Crazy that a doodle could say all that.)

I know it's not exactly the illustration that you originally wanted, but I like it. I hope that you do too.

Now to all my other kind blog readers out there... Obviously I didn't tell Kelly that I went ahead and drew this little doodle for her. In fact, unless you see some evidence that tells you she has seen it (a comment perhaps?) you're seeing it before she has.

It's not my place to share all that Kelly, and her family, have been going through of late. Some of it she has written about on her blog. But I felt a little sad when she wrote me and told me that this was not the best time to invest in an illustration. So, I went ahead and drew something up just so I would send a little doodle love her way.

This is actually the second time that I've drawn a caricature of Kelly. I created one for an earlier blog which she felt that she need to delete. But since she is a blog-aholic, and because she loves us so much, she just couldn't stay away and create The Righteous Buzz. Go and check her out.

Now one of you, I guess, very well might jump over to her blog and tell her that there's something over here she might want to see. That's fine with me. I'm just trying to imagine what her reaction will be when she sees it. I hope it's a pleasant surprise.

Now back to Kelly... Also, you said that you wanted to use the face off your illustration as a profile photo. I thought that perhaps you might like to use this little doodle for that. I don't know - I thought that maybe you would find it kind of crazy - kind of fun.

My apologies for the quality of these images. They are merely photos of them that I took this morning in the early light. The originals are clearer, and brighter. And, if I do say so myself, I especially like how the first illustration turned out. I tried to keep within the color scheme of your blog.

So, if you like what you see, drop me a note and I'll get them in the mail to you.

God bless you, and God bless America!!!

(Perhaps that last line was a little over the top, but it felt good to write it.)

31 comments:

Laura ~Peach~ said...

well rick I do believe Kelly will love it and I also think she is at a ball game tonight with her son :) SO when I get a chance I will tell her she HAS to come see your blog. I think its GREAT!
HUgs Laura

JustinB said...

Cool!!! drawings. Miss Kelly will love it

Anonymous said...

I liked the last line, too :)

I'm always amazed by your drawings! Great work :)

Anonymous said...

RICK!!!! I have to leave to go to yet another football game in just a minute and you made me smear my mascara!!! I can't even put into words how touched I am... I will get back to you post game.

Rick said...

To Caffeine Bean: So, do you want me to edit the illustration and put in the runny mascara?

I'm glad that you like it. I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Anonymous said...

We just walked in the door from the football game and the first thing I had to do was come back here and read everything you wrote! I LOVE them!!! My husband loves them too and says you are very talented.

Carolyn said...

Well "Hi!" Rick!
I love your doodles and your caricatures are right on! You have reminded me that I need to pick up the old sketchbook and use it for what it's meant for: oodles of doodles and character practice (I just love drawing faces!) Lately I've been getting too wrapped up in filling my Etsy shop...
Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I'm glad that you did!

Anonymous said...

I have something for you on my blog!

Melanie Banayat said...

Hello Rick, I thought I would stop by and check out your blog after you left such a beautiful comment on mine. What a nice surprise to see your wonderful cartoons. What a gift. I can only imagine that you will bring a smile to Kelly's face when she finds out what you have done. Don't forget to visit again in October for my Art Giveaway! I'm going to add your blog to my blogroll!

Brenda said...

I'm a regular at her blog. Hmm blogaholic? I think it looks great!

Karen Deborah said...

Rick this is so cool of you to do for our friend! Talk about a great pick me up. I think the doodles are puurrrrrfet! Love the bean.
Applause applause, ayup, applause!

Suz said...

Belated thanks for dropping by my blog, Rick. I noticed you stopped by several of our PE friends' blogs. Funny, we all met through the movie-making process in our small town, but have all found that what drew us to the movie--Johnny Depp--is also what makes us all like one another so much.

Why am I telling you all of this? Because you are one of us! It's the kindness. JD is the kindest, most giving A-list actor out there. Those of us who have become friends because of the movie are alike in our giving natures. So are you. What a very kind gesture for Kelly in a down time of her life.

I'm glad there are more generous folks out there. And your artwork (doodles) are amazing!

:)

Brenda said...

OK I'm trying to find the drawing Kelly has a link to you with the guy ordering coffee so I can see what the lady is saying. I can't find it bigger and I can't seem to make it bigger! Help me. Maybe I need coffee.

Audrey said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog about my sleeping spidey! I see you are the artist that made Dawns header. You do great work. Thanks for stopping by!

MaBunny said...

hehe i actually saw it on her blog just now then cae over here! shes used both of them and they look great!

Rick said...

To Brenda: I don't find it on my blog either. Maybe that one got by me. I'll be posting that one for sure - thanks.

Unknown said...

Rick...first of all thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. Secondly - You truly own a great artistic gift! Thanks for sharing.


~AirmanMom returning to her blog...

amelia bedelia said...

rick your work is great!!! I marked you as a favorite!!

Rhonda said...

VERY COOL! I love the one with the scared sh*tless bowling ball!!! That is too funny!

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It's always nice to know who's out there.

Betty F said...

I LOVE the Doodle and how wonderful of you to do it for Kelly!

kimmy said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment about my family. You are definitely a talented artist!!!!

Have a great evening!

Kimmy

Melanie said...

Rick, I'm so glad you found my blog and left messages! You're very kind and what a joy to come and visit your blog!!!

Your illustrations are fantastic! And this one for Kelly... well... I understand exactly why she would have runny mascara!!! :-)

Kelly, you're a lucky woman to have a friend like Rick! :-)Now I have to go see your blog Coffee Bean!

Anonymous said...

Rick - what a nice thing to do for a friend!

I love to have you join in the Give Creativity Wings to Fly Project and have added you name to the list!

Can't wait to see what you will do with it!

Reddirt Woman said...

Hi Rick from an old Okie!! Thanks for stopping by... and what (tongue in cheek) are Oregon Ducks? I love your doodles! I love art, drawing and painting and making jewelry and such, but I was never very good with caricatures.. and always wanted to be, so I'm envious of your talent.

I'll be back to read and smile at more of your work. Again, thanks for stopping by my place, even if you felt a great need to mention the unmentionable... :O)

Helen

Michelle said...

Thatnks for coming by my blog. I see you are in Oregon. I am originally from Washington and have lived in The Dalles before (young kid). Absolutely love the PNW and can't wait to get back.

Since you are from Oregon, I need you to go sign up at Hallie's blog to represent the state of Oregon. Read back a few days and you will understand.

http://wonderfulworldofweiners.blogspot.com/

I have found some intersting blogs on your site and will definately be back. I love your "doodles" and may have to commision yone from you.

Michelle said...

Note To Self: Do spell check before posting.

Sorry about the spelling errors (At work and trying to be quick)

Rick said...

To Michelle: No problems. I grew up in the country of Poor. So I read Poor English very well.

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Rick-You are my very first male commenter! I had to come visit you! Great drawings...I am really impressed. As for under-the-highway-camping...I am with you. I have had enough! I even tried pretending I was asleep in the car to drown out the noise...to no avail.
Carrie

Anonymous said...

Awesome doodles!

Thanks for the encouragement. :o)

RBK's Realm said...

Hi Rick,

Thanks for stopping by on my blog. I am glad I followed you to yours because you are immensely talented -no kidding!!!

I have totally enjoyed your doodles and plan to visit often.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.