A collection of doodles with a bit of commentary by RICK GREEN - your cartooning friend

Monday, May 10, 2010

Not Quite a Dragon Slayer

My cousin Lily contacted me about creating something for her husband.  She saw my recent dragon doodle that I posted several updates on this blog about.  Apparent she liked what she saw and then wrote me saying..

"Here is a picture of my husband.  He tells a story to all little children he meets that ask him what he does for a living.  He says that he is a dragon slayer but he is not very good at it and he has a dragon friend named Sally and Sally lives in his backyard and she sneezed on him and that's how he got a small bald spot!  If the children look interested he keeps the story going, expounding on Sally's physique (she's gained a lot of weight and has itty bitty wings so it makes it hard for her to fly).  He says she is big, green, stomps on Tokyo, breathes fire...on and on he goes.  He is very funny and the kids love it."


Lily wanted something that she could frame and hang it in their pool table room.  This was fairly easy and an enjoyable one to draw.  Dragons, as far as I can tell, come in all shapes and sizes.  That makes room for a lot of creativity.  Lily liked the illustration.  I haven't head whether or no her dragon slayer has seen it yet.  I hope he doesn't quit his day job.


Update: Cousin Lily sent me this message after seeing this post...


Well, my dear cousin, the "not quite" dragon slayer checked the mail this Saturday and "lo and bebald" the doodle you created. I have not yet framed it but he loved it. My mom was over for Mom's day and she loved it as well. I am tempted to have t-shirts made, but I already gave out t-shirts that say "Sally Rocks" (the name of the dragon). If I find an extra, I'll send you one. THX again...hugs to all...cousin Lily

5 comments:

Mari said...

I love this doodle and I think the dragon slayer will too! You took all those little bits of his story and made them come alive on the page!

TastyJack said...

I cam across your blog by hitting next blog across the top and was struck by the extraordinary talent you have doodling. For a person who has no artistic bone in his whole body it was astounding.

Your willingness to allow others to use it on their own blogs also struck me as something special. I look forward to finding a suitable doodle for use on my own blog.

Hijacker

clew said...

Great capture of this guy - looks just like him! As always, your blog is so fun to visit.

Melissa B. Tubbs said...

What a wonderfully imaginative story! Your drawings have a wonderful style. I want to thank you for your comments about my pen and ink drawings. I love what I do and it always delights me when someone else loves it to. Thanks!

Robin said...

That is a great cartoon...Lolol...!..perfect..!